Service

AV-W is an Expeditionary Learning School.  Expeditionary Learning Schools are rooted in ten design principles. Design Principle 10 states that students and teachers are strengthened by acts of consequential service to others.

Throughout the year our students initiate and participate in a variety of service projects.  We’ve provided Thanksgiving meals to families, donated to the local domestic abuse shelter, supported the Richard Bong World War II museum, written books honoring World War Two Veterans, and much more.

I am proud to work with such compassionate students, colleagues, and community members.

As a personal service project I have started a Kiva team called The Kindness Conspiracy.

We are a non-profit organization with a mission to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty. Leveraging the internet and a worldwide network of microfinance institutions, Kiva lets individuals lend as little as $25 to help create opportunity around the world. Learn more about how it works.

I invite you join THE KINDNESS CONSPIRACY (click this link), and together we can do our part to create opportunity around the world.

Here are some of the great acts of service carried out by our 8th graders:

• Authored and illustrated winter themed stories for 2nd grade buddies
  • Meals provided for families that need them
  • Articles donated to the domestic abuse shelter
  • Volunteer supervision on the playground
  • Washing the windows of the school
  • Tutoring students in need of help
  • Money raised for the Holocaust Memorial
  • Money raised for the Richard Bong WWII Memorial

There are many more that could be listed here.  AV-W students consistently demonstrate their compassion through acts of service.

If you are a current or former student, please take a moment to talk about your acts of service and what it meant to you in a comment below.  Thanks for all of your hard work.

Mr. J

12 thoughts on “Service

1. I have accomplished two lend a helping hand services and donated $3.50 towards a meat card for a family that couldn’t afford it. I felt pretty good about myself for helping out

2. I do aged the 3.50 for a meat card for a family who couldn’t, it felt good knowing that a family would get dinner for what our class did.

3. I have helped with the kids food thing, then I worked a little on the winter park trails. It felt pretty good.

4. I have completed the Thanksgiving meal and some lend a helping hand’s. I felt really good knowing that I helped out someone else.

5. I have helped out at the Food for Kidz. It felt really good packing nutritious meals for families in Africa.

6. I have accomplished two community service opportunities. One of them was that I donated 2 cans of peas and 2 cans of corn to a family in need. And the second one was when I helped sell tickets at the festival of trees in Manotawish Waters with Andrea.

7. I donated to the family who needed a thanksgiving dinner. I felt good that I could help a family in need

8. I gave a can of sweet yams to a family in need. I felt good knowing that I helped someone have a good thanksgiving.